cigano

SWTOR for PS3 or XBOX-360

Both of them are the greatest of evils. That aside, Ps3's been hacked twice this year but the system has nice graphics. XBOX 360 overprices dlc and games, graphics are pretty , but suits me just fine.What do you say friends

It wouldbe fantastic if they relased it on both tbh. Its about time a console had a proper mmo.

I remember seeing rumours of this around the time SWTOR was announced but nothing seems to have come of it - to my limited knowledge anyway.

This has been addressed within a gigantic thread on the official forums but for those of you who may not have read it or haven't sifted through the fanboys and trolls for the occasional gem of knowledge I'll do a quick paraphrase that addresses the side I favor, which is PC exclusivity.

While Bioware HAS come out to say that they've discussed a console port for SWTOR nothing close to an official statement has been made and as of right now SWTOR is PC only. The reasons behind BW's console discussion was primarily due to the relatively untapped market a console MMO falls into and the seemingly boundless success an MMO could achieve within that market if properly handled. The problems with control schematics when porting an MMO over onto a console are put very intelligently by a poster who goes by Lethemback and read as follows:

The point is that a controller is far more limited than a keyboard and a mouse. A combination of keys to activate a skill is nowhere near as usable as having that same skill accessible with a single press. With 24 abilities and a controller it would mean that you would need to learn and use several combinations of key presses to use any single ability. I think that it would be very easy to mess it up by using the wrong ability with that kind of control scheme, don't you think so? And you don't place passive abilities in the quick bar, so the darkened abilities were just those that needed some prerequisites in order to being activated, like for example certain amount of rage, or some other skill used before, or some debuff on the target (so you need to have them somewhat at hand to not miss the opportunity to use them). And what about critical skills that you need to use within a second or else you fail? Tell me how that could work, because I can't honestly see it.

Moreover, how would you target with a controller? If you're going to say that in the same way that you can tab-target with a keyboard, it's useles the 90% of the time. And autotargeting is out of the question too, for many reasons that I'm sure that you can already imagine.

All in all, this is just the recipe to a failed game.

Further into the forum the issue of consoles being a static platform is addressed, as well as licensing issues, server isolation between the different consoles, and then comes funding, while opening up the game to consoles is potentially incredibly profitable it is NOT a guarantee. Different development teams for different consoles means a split of funds which ultimately means one group if not all groups will get the shaft at some point. Outside of creating 2 entirely different games their is also always the possibility that the MMO will ultimately favor either the console or the PC as well.

tl:dr

Moving a currently exclusively PC MMO to consoles would ultimately result in one of two things: A "dumbed down" MMO to compensate for the lack of control equivalency between controllers and keyboard/mouse combos as well as the static hardware of consoles, or two almost entirely separate games splintering the community and dividing servers into PC and console categories possibly resulting in one being either neglected or indirectly affected by new content releases being possibly limited so as not to exclude the other party as well as budget issues.

tl:dr

Don't bring this MMO to a console.

• Like 2

Hmm, I can see your point here but I actually don't agree hugely. Dragon Age manged to blend extensive spells and abilities and sub-menus with a PS3/Xbox controller without any real problems. To say that an MMO such as SWTOR couldn't do the same ithout losing playability just seems plain wrong.

Controllers offer plenty of options for hot keys and holdng buttons to bring up menus doesn't seem too hard.

Secondly combo buttons also are not particularly hard to learn for the average MMO player. Have you played any fighting game? People learn those combos easily enough.

Personally I think there's a huge market here and one that is accessible.

You are correct. Console controllers can offer mapped sub menus ect for ease of use on numerous abilities. But having actually played a MMO on a console, (FFXI) the game would have to be slowed down dramatically to allow for fluid execution of abilities. on a PC you have faster access to multiple Input devices that can not be matched by a single controller.

Those points were brought actually brought about by another forum member who managed to defend console MMO's quite well it just wasn't enough to sell me. While I agree that the possibilities of combo buttons isn't farfetched in the slightest Dragon Age had the advantage of a pause feature, and fighting games while diverse in regards to their multitude of combos etc. still have all their functions geared entirely toward fighting as well as no need necessarily for a targeting feature. Where combat might then be easily solved you'd also have to add in combos or hot keys to bring up companion controls, crafting options, chat functions, guild features, and all the other things that make an MMO so immersive. Would they all have individual combos then or even individual menus? The advantage of one click to bring something up is currently to great over any controller.

Though I do agree with there is a huge market and one thats accessible, I just don't think their at a stage where they could currently pull it off.

Hmm...maybe if SWTOR was packaged with an additional controller then it could work. The controller would be some sort of pad with plenty of buttons to bind different moves to.

I was knowing that it would be released only on PC....i was not in knowledge that it is released on other platforms too....correct me if i am wrong...

Hmm, I can see your point here but I actually don't agree hugely. Dragon Age manged to blend extensive spells and abilities and sub-menus with a PS3/Xbox controller without any real problems. To say that an MMO such as SWTOR couldn't do the same ithout losing playability just seems plain wrong.

Controllers offer plenty of options for hot keys and holdng buttons to bring up menus doesn't seem too hard.

Secondly combo buttons also are not particularly hard to learn for the average MMO player. Have you played any fighting game? People learn those combos easily enough.

Personally I think there's a huge market here and one that is accessible.

I've heard good arguments from both sides but I'm inclined to side with PC exclusivity based on control issues. On either 360 or PS3 your going to hit a brick wall when it comes to hot keys because the controllers only have 10 buttons with 2 of them being beneath the analog sticks. The only way this would port successfully is to enable keyboard and mouse support for the console versions of the game. PS3 has both keyboard and mouse support while the 360 only supports the keyboard, neither of which however seems to utilize the feature for any of it's games. I do have DC universe for PS3 but I havent tried using a KB and mouse to see if it would work. I also played FFXI for Xbox 360 for a while but those games were built from the ground up for both PC and console use. It's not just with MMOs either, you run into the same types of limitations when playing real time strategy (RTS) ports on consoles. Not sure if any of you have played the MMO Aion. If so then you know these 2 games are very similar in feel. You have the ability to use a controller in the game but it's only good for when your waking around doing nothing. Once it's time to fight you'll need the KB & Mouse. So in closing if there is to be a successful port to consoles for this game then keyboard and mouse support is a must.

Well i have a PS3 but I'm not sure I would want to play it on there having got so used to the game on my PC. I think I might be able to get my husband interested in it as a console game though.

I would personally try this but we all know that MMORPGs just never work on consoles. Any MMORPG that is on a console just dies out after a couple of months. They just don't work for some reason.